Thursday, February 17, 2005

24 Hours Left

That's right...this time tomorrow my blog will have brand new name! It's not too late to vote or suggest new ideas, just check out this post and tell me what you think!

Right now, "THE DOUBLE DEUCE" is really taking over, so if you don't like that name, or want something else....ACT NOW!


In other news, I had an epic, epic, elementary school visit today. First Graders and Sixth Graders. The sixth grade class was particularly memorable. I walked in the class, and the second I walked through the door, I was serenaded by recorders. Now I remember back in my day how awful and squeaky and squawky those woodwinds...err plasticwinds sounded, and I'm here to tell you, in Japan, they sound equally awful. I had to put on a brave face, but it was like being at somebody's house and pretending their meatloaf is delicious.

Anyway, class progressed as classes normally do...they were pretty pumped to see me...very high energy, and very fun. (I even brought "EGG NOG" - I know it's February, and it's not really egg nog, but whatever, playing the eggnog card = success). Class has already gone about 10 minutes over, and the teacher says, "Why don't you join us in the gym? Put your things in the teacher's room and we'll get set up."

So 5 minutes later, I'm in the gym along with the 30 rugrats and their teacher. There are 5 big taiko drums set up in a sort of V shape from the baseline with the point of the V being at the top of the key, and a chair 10 feet from the point of the V in the middle of the court. The chair, of course is for me. After their lackluster recorder effort I thought I may be in for it, but they put on a 10 minute drumming display that BLEW MY MIND. I couldn't believe how awesome it was, at points it felt like an earthquake, I'm not kidding you. It left my heart racing (sort of like the Lord of the Dance, except this time, I wasn't left questioning my sexuality - darn you Michael Flatley).

They're SO LITTLE, and just giving it everything they had (when the music crescendos, they are really hammering those drums). It was an incredible performance, and really made my day. I wished I could have video, or audio, but I do have a group picture from after the performance.




Click to make it bigger.

(I'm in the middle...with the beard.)

Anyway, definitely one of the best moments I've had in Japan. My own private concert.

3 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even thogh you said you were in the middle and sporting a beard -- you blend in. Only when you stare at the black dot in the picture does your visage appear. Mom says you look too thin -- eat. Tom Blair

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Hien said...

OH MY GOD tony...I havent read your blog in a while and so I am at the internet cafe and they are HILARIOUS...every entry I am in stitches (for those of you reading comments...TONY did NOT put me up to this...) Costa ricans are pretty laid back people but I think they are going to ask me to leave soon..am creating a scene....I have a tear in my eye ..gotta go...

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you would suggest a blog name along the lines of homostar runner. Brutal. You have been eating too much bad sushi.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home