Sunday, January 30, 2005

My first (and hopefully last) movie review...

So, I usually feel that movie reviews are best left to the pros...seriously, whenever a friend recommends a movie, I nod, smile, and make a mental note to check rotten tomatoes or metacritic to see what actual experts think, so you can take the following with a grain of salt:

Just watched the critically acclaimed, and Oscar nominated movie "Million Dollar Baby". I must say, it left me very, very dissappointed.

Since my explanation is spoiler heavy, it's written in white text, so if you highlight it (by clicking and holding the mouse clicked, then dragging it down the page), you can read it, but if you don't want spoilers, then don't bother!

The cast and the performances were great, and it certainly isn't a "formula" sports movie, but there is a scene/plot twist in the middle of the movie, that was so poorly executed and so untrue to the sport of boxing that the movie completely lost me. Here comes the spoiler section of this review:


The first half of the movie follows the formula of any good sports movie, and does it REALLY well. The rookie fighter, working her way up in the ranks...her reluctant cornerman showing her the ropes...until finally she has the ~~BIG TITLE MATCH~~ with her evil, dirty, German opponent.

In this pivotal fight scene, the movie completely came unglued for me. Early on in the match, the German knocks Hilary Swank down with a cheap shot...as Swank is struggling to get up, the German knocks her down again. That's right, in a fully sanctioned world title fight, there was a knockdown, and rather than going to a neutral corner, at about a 5 count the villain knocks our hero down again. Never seen that in a boxing match. Hmmmm....let's see, realistically if something like this were to happen in a fight, the German character would be DQ'ed, suspended and perhaps not allowed to box again. In the movie she catches a stern warning.

Okay...you're saying to yourself...fair enough, so they blew it a little to make the German out to be a comic book villain, so what?

It gets worse.

The following round is an absolute clustermess of action. They are pushing eachother to the ground, hitting their opponents when they are down, and our hero is scoring countless illegal blows (at the urging of her corner) as apparently the referee is blind. Mercifully the bell rings amd I am left to wonder how on earth the judges scored the round with such frenzied action. (I should have known better than to think it was going to the judges scorecards...)

This is where the movie commits its biggest faux pas of all. After the bell rings to end the round, and the fighters have long since been seperated, Hillary Swank is heading to her corner. As she nears her corner, out of nowhere her German opponent nails her from behind (we're talking 5-10 seconds after the bell). So much time has elapsed after the round, in fact, that her cornerman has actually already got the stool set up in the corner, and when Swank falls she somehow breaks her neck on the stool. This never would have happened for a couple of reasons:

1.) It's illegal - not only in boxing, but there would be an assault law suit
2.) The German was likely ahead or even on the scorecards, so she really didn't have a good reason for this cheap attack.
3.) I've seen late shots in boxing before, but I've never ever seen anything like this...I'm not saying it's impossible...no wait a minute...I'm saying that in a major title fight, with a $1 million dollar purse, nothing like this could EVER HAPPEN!

Anyway, we find out later that Swank lost the fight. WHAT!? Was it a TKO? She couldn't answer the bell for the 4th round, so the German got awarded the match!!?? Huh? I guess the rules of boxing don't apply at all.

It ticks me off because they could have gotten the same result, but done it in a reasonable way...instead they resorted to this absolutely baffling plot twist and it ruined the movie for me.


To be fair, though, this is not a movie about boxing, it's a movie about relationships, and to that end, it's a good one. I just couldn't get over this one scene...and for the rest of the movie, I sat there thinking about how rotten it was. So I guess if your not a boxing fan, or if you think I'm being nitpicky, this may be the movie for you. As for me...big thumbs down!


Sorry about this post, I had to vent...back to regularly scheduled programming. Expect a HUGE NEWS post in the next 3 days.

10 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toenail: Haven't read your movie review because Mom and I are going to it in less than an hour. You would crush Mom if I let her read your negative musings. On another note--Mom wants to know if we should have gifts for your staff and whomever when we come in March? Dad

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony: Just in from the movie-- and have now read your review. Basically I agree that it was prposterous in some respects but then again here you are being critical of boxing when in fact you love the incredulity of wrestling. Glad to see you are maturing. Agree this shouldn't get an award. Enjoyed Aviator much more and really enjoyed Vera Drake. Talk to you later. Pman

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colonel:

saw the movie last night. I offered up a silent (yet robust) lament of the exact same sort when I saw what was happening. I mean, what the crap? It was like a Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore made for Hollywood where Bertuzzi gets awarded the Stanley Cup and after belting Moore.

Now, I know I have been in law school too long for two reasons: 1. upon euthanising her, would the trainer have not rendered here estate to the very family that he was trying to protect her from? That is, I ddin't see her sign no will... so the gold-diggers got the money? What the crap. I just started estates so I don't know the full law... but...

2. The first thing I whispered... in a very, very silent scene when she got blindsided by the punch was "at least she can sue for future earnings." I know... I suck and and/or am insensitive (Beaton tone). Ef Kap

I digress... loved the review... agreed with it 100%

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Duncan McAllister said...

I can not believe you just ruined the movie for me. Darn Tony, and I am trusted you.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Tony said...

FDawg,

When I saw the movie and didn't like it, I actually thought of you not liking it. I didn't think the whole plot twist and the subsequent moral dilemma would go over with you. Your lawyer's take was pretty funny.

Duncan...your blog is seriously worth getting out of bed for...keep it up!

P-Man...I enjoyed Aviator too. I always thought the Spruce Goose was considered a failure, but the movie told another story....you were around in the olden days, could you shed some light on this?

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tony,
Don't know what to make of your review (and that of your readers)of the movie Million Dollar Baby as EVERYONE ELSE I've spoken to loved the movie and praised the superb acting!!! What the heck?!! I've avoided seeing it myself as I've been warned that there's a fair amount of violence which I personally never find entertaining. This reminds me of the movie Pulp Fiction. Bob and I finally saw it as everyone was raving about it and ,frankly, we were confused as we didn't find much entertainment value in it. I'll let Bob critique Million Dollar Baby for me once he's seen it. I'll agree that the Aviator was good and Vera Drake was great but we just saw Finding Neverland this weekend and it was wonderful. Johnny Depp is his sexy self (although I do prefer him in 'bad boy' roles), the story is moving, and yes, Virginia, a tear was shed!
Rose

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tony,
I didn't read your review, but got the gyst of the fact that you didn't like it. Funny, I just received an email from a friend (girl) who loved it. Maybe I'll have to get to the movies one of these nights! Hope you are well! I just remembered I have to send your dad a fax re your car, so best get to it.
Jana

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't seen million dollar baby yet, and might just hold off for video now. however, i have seen finding neverland and it is definitely an oscar-nominated movie worth seeing. it's wonderfully imaginative, beautiful, and heartbreaking all at the same time. and i agree, johnny depp is sooo sexy!

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Absolutely agree with anonymous re: Finding Neverland, and Jonny Depp...the film is as good as he is handsome.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still waiting for your news, Colonel... could it be that you and Sadako are an item?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home