Sunday, January 16, 2005

A grab bag of topics....

Opening Apology: Sorry for the lack of updates this week, I was very busy prepping for a presentation at the English Teacher's Mid-Year Conference. My topic was on Effective Team Teaching...ironic in that my co presenter and I are NOT a very effective team. Anyway, I thought it went poorly, but I received a lot of positive feedback...I get the official feedback this week.


Blog news: You can expect some ~FABULOUS~ pictures later this week. I won't spoil it, but I went to a crazy festival last weekend and I know you'll love the pictures...I'll post them as soon as my friend emails them to me.


Insomnia: Since pulling the all nighter on New Year's Eve, I've found it impossible to get to sleep before 5am. This wasn't a huge problem for the first week, because I didn't have work...so I'd sleep from 5am until 3pm...It was certainly strange, but I managed.

However, now that work has started, I've been sleeping (on average) 3 hours a night...I'm actually shocked at how well I'm coping. But I know this can't last! I know there's other insomniacs in the crowd...any tips from the peanut gallery? I've got a feeling I'll get back on track this week...my first FULL week back at school.


Weather...errr...Blizzard Report: 60cm of snow expected tonight (already 30 on the ground) - Guess who rides his bike 5KM to work!??! Tomorrow's gonna be fun!

Speaking of tomorrow, I have 2...count'em two lesson plans to make tonight and it's already 8:30pm. That only leaves me about 8 hours until I get to sleep...I'd better go.

Tony

5 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Colonel... sleep woes, eh? Remember third year at SFU? hmmm? Chamomile tea works fairly well...

Anyway, can't wait to see the pics of your festival. As for riding your bike in such weather, I thought I had seen it all here with people riding their bike in -50 windchill weather (seriously). Some of them even wear ski goggles. It is certainly a sight... keep the posts coming.

FDawg

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that your lesson plans got completed and that you got more than 3 hours of sleep..According to Rose the insomnia guru..you need to have a pattern, write out anything that is going over in your mind and let go of it and do something relaxing in the hour before you go to bed and go to bed at the same time every night. if you wake up, you shouldn,t stay in bed and toss and turn, get up, stay warm and do some boring reading..then get back to bed..something like that I wouldn't know..I just sleep with a clear conscience..
lokking forward to the pictures..would also like to see you on your bike in the snow..have fun..we shovelled out of just 5-10cm. this weekend,,have had -20 degree weather thoug..not much fun..finally warming up after weeks of cold..had freezing rain at the coast and that's not any fun..love to you M

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insomnia, hey? That just describes my regular sleep pattern. I go to bed between 2 and 4 am, then get up between 6 and 8 am to go to class. I've been doing this on almost a nightly basis for a good year and a half now. So I guess I'm not any help to you. It's just kind of funny to think that what's normal for me is a problem for you. Actually, come to think of it, my sleep pattern would be a problem for most people!! Oh well, I'm sure you'll snap out of it soon. S-Mac

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiTony,
I certainly can relate re: the insomnia. Your mom pretty much has it right, but two hours before you go to bed consider yourself off the clock, relax, don't work on lesson plans etc.YOU should also avoid napping at all costs during the day no matter how exhausted you are. Go to bed at your regular time and get up at your regular time (weekends included). I hope this works for you. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Rose

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be such a whiner about your beauty sleep-- god knows your dad has had years of sleep deprivation and he doesn't complain. Suck it up. Love Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home